Saturday, June 1, 2013

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Glare, Part 1

Another month, another car-related road trip. This time I took the Type SH out to see how it did on a trip of a few hours, as I have more road trips planned for it later this year. The stereo in it doesn't work properly, so I set out to find a stock replacement for it, and found one in Hampton Roads. I decided to meet the seller in Newport News, so I went out to I-295.


Since it had been years since I'd taken US 60 all the way to the Williamsburg area, I felt like using it instead of I-64. Less traffic, more scenery.


Passing VA 409.


Approaching the village of Lanexa.


US 60 meets VA 30 in northwestern James City County.


I continued straight onto VA 30, Rochambeau Drive.


VA 30 turns left here to end at I-64, but is not signed as such. Rochambeau Drive continues as a secondary route to VA 143.


Onto I-64 I go, bypassing Williamsburg. I know what the CEL is for and I have the replacement part for it.


Passing VA 143.


I got off I-64 at VA 199 to rejoin US 60.


Passing the Busch Gardens theme park.


East of Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, US 60 passes through the community of Grove in southeastern James City County.


At the pavement change, US 60 enters Newport News, population 183,xxx, and becomes Warwick Boulevard.


Despite the quiet entry of US 60 into its limits, Newport News is the fifth largest city in Virginia.


I had some extra time, so I turned onto VA 238 in the Lee Hall area.


VA 238 between US 60 and VA 143 is an agonizingly slow 25 MPH.


Like Williamsburg, Newport News uses 1948 spec signage.


The section of VA 143 in Newport News that parallels US 60 and I-64 is Jefferson Avenue. It was once part of VA 168.


VA 238 enters York County.


VA 238 originally continued straight here to go through Yorktown.


Meeting US 17.


The short segment of VA 238 between US 17 and Cook Road is a blast to drive.


The final segment of VA 238's convoluted routing takes you from the edge of Yorktown to one of many military installations in the area.


Turning around, heading back to Newport News.


VA 238 meets its old alignment.


Part of Naval Weapons Station Yorktown.


Back at VA 143. If Jefferson Avenue is closed, traffic hops onto I-64, which has an exit for Jefferson at exit 255.


Back on I-64, going over the Newport News Reservoir.


I didn't take anymore pictures before I met up with the seller of the radio. After talking about our Preludes for a little while, I resumed taking photos elsewhere in Newport News. I'll pick back up with that in part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment