Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The car search begins

Soon, I'll begin my search to replace my wrecked car. I'm going to continue with the trend from my first two cars (both Preludes, first a 3rd generation model and then a 4th), and look for a 5th generation Prelude. The 5th was the last generation of the Prelude, manufactured from 1997 to 2001. According to multiple sources, there were only 58,118 made, but that seems low to me. I live in a state where they're especially common. I've seen several for sale already online, but I'm looking for the right one: stock, white, and probably a stick shift. There were no true automatic 5th gen Preludes; those not equipped with a 5-speed were still allowed to partake in the full abilities of the H22 engine by being equipped with a Tiptronic (semi-automatic with paddle shifters) system that Honda referred to as SportShift. Unfortunately, the SportShift transmissions often have problems, even when driven like a traditional automatic, so I'm only going to consider one if it has extremely low miles (like under 100,000) AND is the right price. In the meantime, I'm back to driving my old '91 Prelude, so I haven't been taking many road photos, but I have a couple of plans before the Richmond meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment